HISTORY OF LOS ANGELES HARBOR

H. W. McOuat

Abstract


The writer wonders if the person who assigned the subject of "History of Los Angeles Harbor" was aware that the conference was to be held in the Long Beach Municipal Auditorium. This latter city also has a harbor, the development of which is now so interwoven with that of Los Angeles that the Corps of Engineers in many official papers refers to "Los Angeles and Long Beach Harbors, California." In the evolution of this large, modern, combined harbor with its present friendly internal rivalry, it has been designated by a number of names. Cabrillo in 1542 called the place "Bahia de los Humos." On the charts Vizcaino, 1602-1603, it appears as "Ensenada de San Andres." In 1734, the Spanish Admiral Gonzales gave it the name San Pedro, which still applies to the bay as a whole and to the community along the westerly side of the harbor.

Keywords


LA Long Beach; harbor; history

Full Text: PDF

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.