THE REBUILDING OF THE EASTERN DIKE OF THE HARBOR OF DUNKIRK

V. Le Gorgeu, R. Guitonneau

Abstract


The eastern dike, 900 meters long, separates the sea from the "Canal Exutoire des Wateringues". This canal evacuates the water from inland grounds to the sea through a look, called "Ouvrage Tixier", comprised of five passes closed by dock gates. Any accident to the eastern dike which connects the sea with the canal prevents the normal working of the Tixier lock and thwarts the drainage of the inland grounds. An accident occurred in 1949 during the storm of March 1st. In 1953 the storm of February 1st destroyed the part of the dike which had not been damaged in 1949. It was then decided not only to repair the gaps, but also to reinforce all that remained of the old dike. The design adopted in 1953 was the same as that used in 1949. The problem had at that time been studied by the Neyrpio Laboratory on a reduced-scale model.

Keywords


dike design; reinforced dikes; Harbor of Dunkirk

Full Text: PDF

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.